You are currently viewing Natasha’s recall: INEC confirms receipt of Petitioners’ contact address, says it has notified Natasha of the petition letter
Natasha’s recall: INEC confirms receipt of Petitioners’ contact address, says it has notified Natasha of the petition letter

Natasha’s recall: INEC confirms receipt of Petitioners’ contact address, says it has notified Natasha of the petition letter

Natasha’s recall: INEC confirms receipt of Petitioners’ contact address, says it has notified Natasha of the petition letter

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed receiving the contact addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of the representatives of those who submitted the petition for the recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the representative of Kogi Central.

On March 26, 2025, INEC made public the confirmation that it had received the petition for the recall of Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan. However, the electoral body had also stated that the petition did not initially meet the necessary requirements for it to proceed. Specifically, INEC pointed out that the petitioners’ representatives had failed to include their contact details—such as their addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses—in the initial submission, as required by Clause 1(f) of INEC’s Regulations and Guidelines for Recall.

ALSO READ

Senator Natasha Recall: Hope rises for Natasha as INEC states that Petitioners are yet to comply with their rules

The statement added that, following the commission’s notification, the missing details had now been provided. A letter addressing the Chairman of INEC, dated Wednesday, March 26, 2025, confirmed that these details had been forwarded, addressing the issues that initially hindered the processing of the petition.

In a statement released on March 26, 2025, Sam Olumekun, the National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information & Voter Education Committee of INEC, clarified the development. He confirmed that the petitioners had now provided the required contact details—representatives’ addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. This was in accordance with the Regulations and Guidelines outlined by INEC.

The missing contact information had initially delayed the process, as the commission’s regulations stipulate that such details must be included in the covering letter for the petition to be processed. These details enable the electoral body to reach the petitioners and follow the proper steps outlined for the recall procedure.

READ ALSO

INEC Holds Crucial Meeting on Possible Recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

In line with the regulations set out for the recall process, the commission has taken the next step by notifying Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan of the petition. As required by Clause 2(a) of the Commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Recall, a formal letter has been sent to the senator’s official address to inform her of the petition. This is an essential part of the recall process, which ensures that the subject of the recall petition is made aware of the action being taken.

The notification was also sent to the presiding officer of the Senate and has been published on INEC’s official website. This transparency ensures that the public is aware of the ongoing processes and the steps that will follow. The publication of this letter is a key part of INEC’s commitment to open and transparent governance, allowing the public to monitor the process closely.

READ ALSO

INEC just received the petition from “constituents” to replace Natasha with Yahaya Bello

With the contact details now submitted and the notification delivered to Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, INEC will proceed to the next stage of the recall process: the verification of the petition’s signatories. The commission will review the list of registered voters who have signed the petition to determine whether the petition meets the requirement of being supported by more than one-half (over 50%) of the registered voters in Kogi Central.

This stage is crucial to ensure that the petition has the necessary backing from a majority of the electorate. The verification will be conducted over the coming days, and the outcome will be made public once the scrutiny process is complete.

The commission has reassured the public that the process will remain open and transparent. As stated by INEC, all steps taken will be made available for public scrutiny, ensuring accountability and fairness throughout the process.

INEC has consistently emphasized its commitment to conducting elections and related processes in a transparent and fair manner. The recall process of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan is no exception. The electoral body has outlined every step of the process, from the submission of the petition to the final decision that will be made based on the results of the signatory verification.

The transparency of the process is further highlighted by INEC’s publication of key documents on its website and the delivery of official notifications to all involved parties, including Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan and the Senate presiding officer. This ensures that all stakeholders are fully informed and can participate in or observe the recall process.

The coming days will be crucial as INEC scrutinizes the signatories to the petition. Should the petition meet the required threshold, the next steps will be taken according to the law. However, if the petition fails to meet the necessary criteria, the process will be halted, and no further action will be taken.

As the recall process unfolds, the role of the public and the media will be significant in ensuring that the process remains transparent and accountable. Nigerians are encouraged to closely monitor the proceedings, as the final outcome could have significant implications for the political landscape in Kogi Central.

The media, in particular, will continue to play a crucial role in disseminating information, providing updates on the progress of the petition, and ensuring that the actions of INEC and all parties involved remain in line with democratic principles. Public awareness of the recall process is vital to maintaining trust in the electoral system.

In conclusion, the recent developments in the recall process of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan demonstrate INEC’s commitment to adhering to its regulations and ensuring that the process is carried out in a transparent and fair manner. With the contact details of the petitioners now submitted and the senator officially notified, the commission will continue its scrutiny of the petition’s signatories. The outcome of this process will determine the next steps, and INEC has once again reassured Nigerians that the entire process will be carried out openly and with full accountability.

 

Further to the statement issued yesterday, Tuesday 25th March 2025, the Commission hereby confirms that the contact address of representatives of the petitioners, their telephone numbers and e-mail addresses have now been provided in a letter addressed to the Chairman of the Commission dated today Wednesday 26th March 2025.
As provided in Clause 2(a) of the Commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Recall 2024, a letter has been written to notify the Senator sought to be recalled about the receipt of the petition and delivered to her official address. The same letter has been copied to the presiding officer of the Senate and published on the Commission’s website.
The next step is to scrutinise the list of signatories submitted by the petitioners to ascertain that the petition is signed by more than one half (over 50%) of the registered voters in the Constituency. This will be done in the coming days. The outcome, which will be made public, shall determine the next step to be taken by the Commission.
We once again reassure Nigerians that the process will be open and transparent.
National Commissioner and Chairman, Information & Voter Education Committee
Wednesday 26th March 2025
Source: LIB

Leave a Reply